Sunday, June 16, 2013

Welcome to my blog!

So hello!  Welcome to my blog.  If you've arrived here via Twitter, you know me as @EPLFanForLife.  If you've arrived here some other way, you probably just know me as Walt.

I am an avid football (soccer) fan who has found a doorway into a special world via Twitter.  Growing up playing and following soccer in the USA, I always knew that football (soccer) was the most popular sport in the world, but only me and a relatively small group of my teammates and friends truly appreciated what the sport means and understood why it is followed so closely by billions of people.

Unfortunately, I am still in the minority.  For years, I have listened to those who recognize my allegiance to the sport laugh and poke fun, ignorantly criticizing a sport that is often low-scoring and goes against the grain of our American obsession with points, baskets, and runs.  Although often alone in my appreciation, I have never really minded the sarcastic comments.  In fact, I usually react to the snide remarks with the grin of someone who hears what they are saying but who also secretly appreciates the fact that I know something that they don't.

I am confident that one day America will wake up and recognize what almost every other country on our planet already knows; but I'm also content with being part of a small group here who are able to watch the awakening happen slowly from a distance, where week in and week out a few more Arsenal and ManU jerseys are spotted walking down the street on a given weekend.

In the meantime, as the wave of awesomeness slowly permeates through our society, I will continue to enjoy the fact that I can get a good seat for almost any fixture at a local sports bar and cherish the look that each new fan has on their face as the realization of what they are watching starts to sink in and they "get it" for the first time.

Please visit often and connect with me on Twitter if you enjoy what you see here and want to talk football.  My enthusiasm for the sport continues to grow every day as I learn and read more from people all across the globe who share my love for the greatest sport in the world.

Cheers,
Walt  
@EPLFanForLife

No comments:

Post a Comment